SPANISH HYDROGEN ASSOCIATION
CARBUROS METÁLICOS, S.A.
Founded in 1897, Carburos Metálicos has been serving the Spanish industry for over 120 years. Today, the company is a leader in the Spanish industrial and medical gas sector, and a benchmark for safety, innovation and sustainability in the chemical industry.
Carburos Metálicos has a daily production capacity of over 1,200 tonnes of liquefied gas (MTPD), and owns 12 production plants, 14 packaging plants, 2 high-purity gas laboratories, and a R&D centre. In 1995, we became part of the Air Products group, the world-leading producer of hydrogen with a market share of over 50%.
Carburos Metálicos supplies hydrogen in all its forms: gas, liquid, and on-site production. As a turnkey systems integrator, the company also has hydrogen production technologies including methane conversion, biogas cleaning, waste gasification, water electrolysis from renewable sources, CO2 capture, etc.
In addition to this, Carburos Metálicos has been developing hydrogen dispensing technologies for H2 fuel cell vehicles for decades, having an extensive patent portfolio in this field. Since 1993, Air Products has taken part in over 250 projects in more than twenty countries, both in Europe and abroad.
Carburos Metálicos is part of the consortium that has launched the first hydrogen station in Spain with the capacity to supply hydrogen at 700 bar.
Main lines of business of the entity
• H2 production from different sources and according to the customer’s requirements.
• On-site H2 generation in order to reduce production costs.
• Renewable or low-carbon H2 production for sustainable mobility.
• Safe, reliable H2 storage and distribution: compressed and liquid H2.
• Provision of hydrogen and equipment for zero-emission mobility: proprietary technology for hydrogen refuelling stations and mobile dispensers.